Surfaces shall be Vendura Solid Surfaces. Color and pattern shall be selected by the architect. Vendura Solid Surfaces shall be 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" thick for horizontal applications. Backsplashes, where specified, shall be 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" thick. Vertical applications shall be 1/4", 3/8", or 1/2" thick. (Custom thickness is available). Physical properties shall conform to the manufacturer';s standard specifications. The material shall be homogeneous, not coated or laminated. Installation shall be in a workmanlike manner, in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.
When specifying Vendura Solid Surfaces for applications, RTV Silicone sealant should be used for caulking tub and shower wall edges and splashes. Color matched silicone sealant is available.
- ANSI: American National Standards Institute
- ICPA: International Cast Polymer Association
- NAHB: National Association of Home Builders
- Shop drawings: Indicate dimensions, component sizes, fabrication details, attachment provisions and coordination requirements with adjacent work
- Samples: Submit minimum 3 x 2 samples. Indicate full range of color and pattern variation. Approved samples will be retained as standards for work.
- Product data: Indicate product description, fabrication information and compliance with specified performance requirements.
- Maintenance data: Submit manufacturers care and maintenance data, including repair and cleaning instructions.
1.04 Certified Quality
Performance Standard: ANSI
As with any product in a household or business environment, there are a number of performance standards which apply to solid surface products. Among the standards which have been formulated for application to solid surface products are ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards.
The ANSI national consensus standard establishes the test methods pertaining to the structure, water resistance, colorfastness, including the ability to be fabricated with inconspicuous seams and to be restored to its original finish.
In addition, there are general requirements of materials and workmanship and finish. ANSI/ICPA SS-1-2001 establishes a common set of performance criteria for the benefit of manufacturers, fabricators, architects, specifiers, consumers and others that manufacture, specify or use solid surface materials.
ANSI Solid Surface Performance Requirements
|Color fastness||No change 200 hours||ANSI Z-124|
|Wear and cleaning||Passes||ANSI Z-124|
|Impact resistance||No cracks or chips||ANSI Z-124|
|Stain resistance||Passes||ANSI Z-124|
|Chemical Resistance||Passes||ANSI Z-124|
|Drain fitting connection||Passes||ANSI Z-124.3|
|Loads on lavatory tops||Passes||ANSI Z-124.3|
|Thermal shock resistance||Passes||ANSI Z-124.3|
|Cigarette burn test||Passes||ANSI Z-124.3|
The national consensus standard was developed by the International Cast Polymer Association (ICPA) and a representative group of producers, users and other materials experts in accordance with the ANSI canvas method. The national standard reflects the consensus of key producers, users and other materials experts based on more than two years of work.
Prior to developing the new standard, ICPA received accreditation as standards developer from ANSI. To develop the new standard, ICPA followed the ANSI canvass method, which requires a balanced group of representatives from all interest categories and adherence to due process procedures. ANSI standards are recognized and respected by leading industry authorities and consumers.
Vendura has been tested and certified through the NAHB (National Association of Home Builders Research Center) for over fourteen consecutive years.
1.05 Delivery, Storage, and Handling
- Deliver no components to project site until areas are ready for installation.
- Handle materials to prevent damage to finished surfaces (laying tools or stepping on the surface should be avoided). Provide protective coverings to prevent physical damage following installation for duration of project.
1.06 Warranty 15 Year
- Vendura Industries, Inc. (the "Company") warrants to the original purchaser of a Vendura solid surface product that the product is free from manufacturing defects. If a failure due to a manufacturing defect occurs during the first fifteen years after you purchased your Vendura solid surface product, the Company at its option will repair or replace, without charge, the defective Vendura product. This limited warranty does not cover damage caused by any of the following: normal wear and tear; chemical or physical abuse; misuse; fire; failure to follow the Company';s installation instructions; failure to follow the Company's care and use instructions for your Vendura products; acts of nature; or exposure to extreme heat. The Company's obligation hereunder is limited solely to the repair or replacement of the Vendura Product covered by this warranty and this limited warranty does not cover labor charges, plumbing charges, or other expenses that you may incur in connection with the replacement of a defective product unless installation was made by a Vendura certified installer. No implied or express warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose is granted by this warranty, except as expressly stated herein. Except as provided herein, the Company shall not be in liable in tort, contract or otherwise for any loss or for any direct, consequential or incidental damages arising out of the use of inability to use the Vendura solid surface product as stated herein. Some states do allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.
2.01 Solid Polymer Fabrication
A. Material: Homogeneous filled polyester, acrylic-modified, cast-polymer solid surface. Colors and patterns run all the way through the product. It is a repairable and renewable surface.
Material shall have minimum physical and performance properties specified below:
|Tensile Strength||6300 PSI||ASTM-D-638|
|Flexural Strength||8410 PSI||ASTM-D-790|
|Flexural Modulus||1.5 x 106||ASTM-D-790|
|Hardness||59 BARCOL||ASTM-D-2583 (Barcol Impressor)|
|Wear and Cleanability||PASSES||ANSI-Z124.3 & Z124.6|
|Stain Resistance||PASSES||ANSI-Z124.3 & Z124.6|
|Fungus and Bacteria
|PASSES||ASTM-G-21 & G-22|
|Boiling Water Surface
Resistance (500 deg. F)
|Izod Impact||.28 ft.-lbs./in.||astm-d-256 (Method A)|
|Impact Resistance||NO FRACTURE
1/2 in. ball@24 in.
|Point Impact: Bowls||PASSES||ANSI-Z124.3 & Z124.6|
|Flammability (Class 1 or A)
Flame Spread Index
- Transaction Surfaces (Reception Areas, Desktops, etc.)
Horizontal surfaces of 1/2" thick solid polymer material adhesively joined with inconspicuous seams; edge details as indicated on Architect's Drawings. Vertical surfaces shall be 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4" material on the Architect's Drawings (Call manufacturer if custom thickness is desired).
- Window Sills
1/4", 1/2" or 3/4" thick solid polymer material with or without returned ends and lipovers. Undermount insulation may be added.
- Vanity Tops with sinks
1/2" thick solid polymer material adhesively joined with inconspicuous seams; edge details as indicated on Architect's Drawings, complete with undermount, drop ins or integral bowl. Provide coved or set on backsplash and side splashes (specify edge thickness and/or skirting option).
- Wall Panels
1/4" (36" maximum width on 1/4" stock), 3/8", or 1/2" thick panels of solid polymer material joined or sealed with color matching silicone sealant adhesively applied to solid substrates. May be hard seamed as needed.
- Shower Bases (Custom and Standard Sizes), Tubs and Tub Decks
Specify drain location, threshold and dam height and thickness. Tubs come with or without whirlpool systems. Tub decks 1/2" thick with Vendura or drop in tubs. Specify edge profile.
- Kitchen Countertops with sinks
1/2" thick countertop of solid polymer material; typical 1-1/2" edge detail as indicated on Architects Drawings, complete with integral single, double and triple bowls. Provide counter complete with backsplash, cove or set on, of size shown on Architects Drawings (Note: same color sink/countertop is available). Undermount and drop in sinks (provided by others) may be used.
- Flooring Material
3/8" thick. Call manufacturer for custom sizes.